Tuesday, January 08, 2008

The Core of the Problem

Actually, this post should have been tittled: The Problem is the Core. Lemme 'splain. I have been 'suffering' from sore hip flexors and from the thorough research I have done (thank you), it appears - no, it is due to a weak core. You see I do not do sit-ups, crunches or any strength exercises. I just run. For crying out loud, I don't even stretch (I know, this is part of the problem)!

The obvious answer to my 'problem' is to strengthen the abs, and so I have vowed to do a daily routine that will see me do alternating sets of crunch/sit-ups and push-ups. Nothing harsh, 10 reps each but non-stop for 10-minutes.

My wishful mind hopes that a strong, I mean less-weak, core will help me drop my 'thon time into 3:05 territory, and why not? my 5k time into submission- I mean sub-19 :-)

On another related note, I am hoping to do a double today, as that is the only way I can see 60 miles per week.

Ciao Mon Ami

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.pinebeltpacers.org/Prevent/runners.pdf


http://runningtimes.com/rt/articles/?id=5524


Hope these give you some ideas...

Mindi said...

I have the same problems. In addition to the sit-ups, etc., I also recommend doing exercises that target the hip flexors, glutes and inner thighs. I do pilates to strengthen the enire core band in the midsection. And every time I slack on it, I start feeling it in my hips. Good luck!

joseph - great first link. Thanks.