Wednesday, April 25, 2007

The Four Pillars of Running

Training: Explore what works for you. Each individual requires tweaking with Daniels, Lydiard, the FIRST program, Galloway, you name it. Increase mileage slowly, to prevent injuries. Someone recommended not to do speed work until I had ran 10,000 miles! Do I agree with that person? Yes and no. The ambiguity of my answer is that it depends on the individual. What works for Paul Tergat WILL not work for me [genetics]. However, what works for someone of similar talent [or lack of talent for that matter] just MAY work for me. The bottom line, be conservative and at the same time don’t be afraid to try something new. Caveat: do know your abilities [see below]

Know Thyself: No, this is not a philosophical statement, but rather a simple concept to know what works for you. In my case, I have been known to train too hard and THAT has led to injuries and setbacks. Now I can safely say that I know myself, and I know what works for me. For example, I know that rotating THREE pairs of running shoes has held SOME injuries at bay.

In the past, 40 mpw seemed to be the magic boundary; once I ran more than 40 mpw, I seemed to get injured. In hindsight, the 40 miles were run too hard. Now, I try to run three quality runs and the rest of the mileage is purely aerobic. Ironically, I am currently suffering from knee tendonitis. Simply put, listen to your body; it’s okay to rest from time to time.

Fueling/Hydration: Self explanatory.

Enjoyment: If you don’t enjoy what you’re doing, then why do it?

No comments: