Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Book Review & Sundry


A Race Like No Other
by Liz Robbins

One of the several blogs I follow is the most excellent Pigtails Flying and in one recent entry, she offered this book to whoever answered a question correctly. I did. And I am glad I did.

I have mentioned many times the love-hate relationship I have with the New York City Marathon, and it was rather refreshing to read about the personal stories of some of the entrants: your everyday joe-six-pack and hockey-mom (TM by Lying-Palin).

The reader gains access to the elites from behind the scenes. I learned that Ramala is smart (or dumb) enough to coach himself and how difficult it can be to train in crime-ridden Johannesburg.

Ramala was by far the one elite I identified the most. Paula is Paula; she is expected to win; and she did (in 2004 and 2007). Wami was courageous to race a 'thon at her level just six weeks after winning Berlin. And of course there is Lel who apparently has the most devastating kick among the elites.

The author also explores the lives of those that are affected by the marathon: the residents, the merchants, the volunteers, the race directors, the politicians and many others.

All in all a good read. The book will make the previous NYCM-participant reminisce about the race; and it will make the runner who has yet to pound the streets of NY the first Sunday in November to
yearn the day he does it.

My Last Entry...

had me wondering what the hay was wrong with me. After two bad runs, I laced my shoes for an easy 10-miler (Thursday, October 9). I start at a moderate effort and my stride is choppy, my legs feel weak. Damn. This would make the third day in a row that would find me struggling, cutting a run short. I ran for only five miles; my chest felt heavy; I also felt a bit disoriented. I knew then there was something not right. Being an MD (Google University, thank you very much), I decided my airways were partially blocked. I have access to Qbar and took a poof that night.

The next morning I wake up feeling anxious. I wonder if the medication will do the trick. I start my run and my stride is fluid and long. The effort is relaxed. Just after 1.5 miles I choose to do on-and-offs, quarter miles. I won't bore you with the splits, but I will note that the 4.5 miles of on-and-off were completed @ 7:11 pace. Nice. The medication worked; or was it the psychosomatic effect? The eight miles I end up running average 7:28 (without stopping), woo hoo!!!

Long Long-Run

The plan is to run the first three easy and then run 10-13 miles at MP (7:30), with the remaining miles easy. The course is pretty fast with insignificant climbs. I have support. The weather is mild but it is expected to get in the low 80s. The first mile is run in 7:48, and I am a bit worried because I feel the heavyness in my chest. I have not taken any more poofs of Qbar. I should have. Next mile is within the acceptable range, 7:53. The third comes down a bit, 7:46 [23:27]. Time to pick it up. I lengthen my stride. Surprisingly, it feels fluid. Great. Mile four, 7:21. Ooops, a bit on the fast side. I try to lessen the effort; it does not work. Mile five, 7:22. WTF?

I must have really ease the effort as the next split was a bit dissapointing, 7:37. I concentrate on the effort, I try to quicken the stride rate. Mile 6, 7:30. Hmm, I seem to be working a bit harder than I would like, not much mind you. Mile 7, 7:29; I was hoping to see a 7:25. Oh well. Mile 8, 7:31. Jeez. Now I imagine the 3:20s are in front of me. And they are four runners deep. It will be hard to break through that human wall. I will have to make my move when they go through the next aid station. I use up more energy but I do not want to be holed up, 7:18 [1:15:35=7:33 pace]. I am back on MP; mile 11, 7:27. The next mile, for some strange reason, finds me feeling really, really good. Can I keep this pace for 26.2 in NY? You betcha! Mile 12, 7:23. Wait a minute bucko! Mile 13, 7:33.

Two more miles and I will start running easy; I am beginning to feel tired. Mile 14, 7:20. One more mile at MP; the heat is beginning to wear me down. Thank goodness it's only a training run. Mile 15, 7:28 [1:52:47].

I dream of being able to complete the last 11 miles and change at 8:00 flat. Mile 16, 8:12. Hmm, I don't think so buddy. Mile 17, 8:14. Definitely not. I am running easy; it feels like a jog. The 3:20s pass me and I let them go. Now I have to go number one. I step off the course to relieve myself. I must have lost at least 30 secs. Mile 18, 8:55. I just keep the nice easy pace as all I want to do is "run" up to the 20-mile marker. Mile 19, 8:23. It's getting harder to keep this pace. Mile 20, 8:22 [2:34:53].

Great now I can begin the walking breaks as I want to save myself for my date with NY. I walk for 90 seconds and then I "jog". I grab a 20oz water bottle and I carry it for a while. I feel really thirsty even though I have drank gatorade and water at most of the support stations. I start walking once again (not in the original plan). Mile 21, 11:23, ouch. I want to drink more as I still feel thirsty but my stomach feels full. Mile 22 finds me "recovered" as I did not need to take a walking break, 8:20. Better. Another walking break, another jog. Mile 23, 9:08. Damn, it seems like I may have a hard time with the last 5K and change.

I decide to start cutting the walking breaks by 10 seconds. Mile 24, 8:40 [3:12:24]. Much better. My foggy brain tries to do the math and it's hard. Me figures I need to average 8 mpm to come under 3:30. I don't think so. Sub 3:35 will be fine thank you!

The next walking break takes "only" 70 seconds. Mile 25, 8:33. I hit the 25.2 and the one mile to go "sign." I go for it; I try to pretend it's the last mile of the NYCM. Mile 26, 8:08. The 385 yards are covered in 1:29; not too bad considering I was pretty tired. The last mile with the only significant hill in the course (from 25.2 to 26.2) was clocked in 7:25!!!

To say that I am pleased with the outcome is an understatement. I ran 12 miles at 7:26, which combined with the first three average-out to 7:31... and the last mile at 7:25 makes 16 miles at MP!!! Three more weeks and I'll find out if the monkey left the building.

Huge THANKS go to Arcane who made this training run possible.

The end.

Keep on running y'all!

4 comments:

yumke said...

Cool, took me a while to figure out that you ran Chitown! :)

Quinto Sol said...

:-)

If the weather had been cooler, I am afraid I would have thrown away the plan and "raced" the whole thing, and probably ran a sub-3:20... BUT that would have worked against NYCM, or what do you think?

yumke said...

Funny, I was on the Chicago site looking up a friend's time. I also on a whim looked up Fran's time (I knew it wasn't him) and saw what turned out to be you doing a great run!

Dunno, I think you're in great shape. Me I'm quickly falling out of marathon shape with 10 days to go for No. 2

Arcane said...

Good training run! I think it was wise of you to back off, though it would have been nice to have another sub-3:20 to my name :) I was worried how you might do based on your MP runs last week but it seems you figured out what might be the problem and how to fix it.

I think this shows that you are more than capable of going sub 3:20.