Saturday, September 13, 2008

Marathon Du Medoc

To call this a race is a mistake; at least for those of us who chose to slog it rather than race it as there were some really fast folks who race it well. It is really a marathon inside a party. And what a party it is. If you ever get the chance of doing it, you will not regret it; I guarantee it.

On to the race. The already stated goal of a sub-5-hour finish was half in jest as I did not think it would take me that long to complete the distance. And I did complete it in less than that, but let me tell you: it was not easy. The course itself was a bit more difficult than I expected as it contains several rolling hills, most notably leading up to the Chateaus. The over 7000 runners and the narrow roads made it all that more difficult to get a rhythm. But I did not really care. I was there to have fun. And fun I did have; lots of it.

I lined up about half-way and it was a minor mistake as I found myself practically walking for almost the whole first K. No matter I said to myself. I will pick it up to 9mpm pace as I also want to get some training benefit, for at least 30K or so. And I did pick it up. Methinks that I was running 8-8:30 pace when I was "running."

The culprits for my brief stops were the 23 wine stations. You see the organizers have the support from all these Chateaus who willing give away their wine to any runner who wants it. And they don't really mind how much wine you consume at their expense. My guess is that the wine itself is of the Chateaus' lowest quality, albeit still tasty.

As soon as I saw one of these stations I had two servings, not realizing its future cumulative effect. I was also spending more energy than the pace I was doing as I was dodging participants left and right. Finally, around the 7K marker I have some "breathing" room where I don't have to zig-zag. My splits get progressively faster, even with the wine stops. Ah but it was not as rosy as it should have been. I started feeling dizzy by the 17K marker and I knew I was close to being drunk. If I continued as I was doing until then I would not finish. I had to change my original strategy. I started drinking more water and just taking a couple sips at the wine-serving Chateaus. It helped as I felt back to normal 5K later. Alas, my mind was not okay as I started walking short portions. I continued the gallo-walking for the rest of the party, err I mean run, with the exception of the last two+ Ks.

For most of 30K I was frog-leaping position with this guy who had a Sumo-wrestler costume, and I just could not let him beat me. Finally, the weight and the overheating got to him right after 30K. I would not see him again.

At around 35K, there was this wall (see pic) whose bricks were made of wooden wine crates. Nice touch :-). It right around this point where I was expecting the oysters and the ham and the steak. I would have to wait until the 38K for the ham, the 39K for the oysters (where I had two chased by what else but white wine) and just before the 40K marker I had three cubes of medium rare beef; again, chased by wine, this time red. Boy was it good!

I was really glad I was about to complete my 39th marathon as I was really, really tired. Even when I was taking my time. I reached the 41K, running mind you (or at least it felt like running), and a volunteer hands me ice cream. Nice.

I try to pick it up for the last K and change. I spread my arms mimicking a plane. I complete the "best" 26.2 miles of my life in a pedestrian 4:24:16. But who's keeping score; not me.

When I crossed the finish, I was handed a nice duffel bag, a bottle of bordeaux and a poncho. And of course, a finisher's medal.

My only complain is that I probably will not do it again. But one never knows what awaits in one's life :-)

For a nice pictorial check this link. This is where I borrowed the pictures I used. It is worth visiting it as the pictures really tell the story.

Now to resume my training for the NYCM.

2 comments:

yumke said...

Wow, sounds like quite an adventure.. I don't think I could run with that much alcohol in me!

Arcane said...

Looks interesting. One of those marathons to put on the "to-do list". 39 marathons? Wow, that's quite the number you've accumulated.